Saturday, June 28, 2008

Coconut Oil

I mentioned a few posts back getting a more detailed post up here about my experience with Virgin Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions. See their website for more comprehensive details or to order from them. I came across them by accident while researching my own struggle with hypothyroidism. I was simply looking for ways to improve my diet to help ease the symptoms of HT that are not being controlled by my medication and I kept coming across the additive of coconut oil. On a whim I ordered some and when it came I got cold feet! I read the book and saw that other people had used it on their pets so I decided to use my dog Kira as a guinea pig. She has struggled for years with many symptoms brought on by vaccinations including chronic diarrhea, stiff joints, ear and skin irritations (itching, yeast infections). In addition she has food and environmental allergies. Despite putting her on a very strict, all organic, corn and gluten free diet she still had a lot of symptoms. By day 3 of using the coconut oil both internally and topically, Kira was a completely different dog! She now goes to the bathroom once a day versus every 3-4 hours in a 24 hour period, no more itching/swelling/yeast rash, sleeps all night and PLAYS during the day instead of sleeping all day and scratching all night.

Needless to say we are now all on VCO. After a few weeks of varying die-off symptoms we are slowly adjusting to a new feeling of higher energy, less sugar cravings, better sleep, and just a general sense of well-being. The kids have gained weight and leveled out their tantrums and moods. I have lost a few pounds and am confident that once my medications are adjusted I will have a better report to give you, especially once I make my final leap into the Maker's Diet.

Here is our favorite Morning Smoothie recipe so far:
  • 10 oz. of organic plain whole milk yogurt, kefir or coconut milk/cream
  • 1-2 raw high omega-3 whole eggs (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp. of extra virgin coconut oil
  • 1 Tbsp. of flaxseed or hempseed oil
  • 1-2 Tbsps. raw, organic unheated honey
  • 1 Tbsp. of Garden of Life's Goatein protein powder
  • 1-2 cups of fresh or frozen organic berries (We use Cascadian Farm organic frozen blueberries)
  • Add a little extra pure water to thin it out if you like it thinner and/or crushed ice to make it colder
More to come!

No comments: