Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Camera oh camera, wherefore art thee?

My camera is lost. My children are growing and I am missing it! Ack! Thank heavens for disposable cameras but that doesn't help my blog now does it?

So I'll just update you all on their stats and you can picture it in your head. (Hint: think cute!)

Me: Oh the life of a 7 yr old boy. Apparently girls at school like him. He's now the most distracted little thing known to man. I can tell him to go do something and two seconds later he'll be at the opposite end of the house building something instead! The child can't stop thinking, creating, imagining, learning, classifying, building.....he makes me tired. He now has a lot more responsibility for his own things such as self-care, school work, chores, etc. Which means he is gently reminded once and gets a follow-up reminder at the end of the night before bed. It's not working so well since his mother is a Type A detail controlling freak, but he does need to learn to be responsible right? Right. It's a good thing he has a heart the size of Texas and not an ill-willed bone in his body!

Myself: Miss Thing has been growing like a teenage boy and acting like a teenage girl. Seriously, where do they learn that body language thing? The whole hand-on-the-hip-head-cocked-to-one-side thing? Oh heaven help us all, we are in serious trouble with this child. But I learned something very neat this week about how to deal with my daughter in a positive way. When she's decided that she's older than me I simply pick her up and tell her one good thing about herself. You know, "You're a really nice big sister", "I like how you dressed yourself today", "Your smile lights up this whole room".....she tends to melt a little bit and the edge comes off. Then it's like talking to a completely different person! She caught onto my trick though and stopped me before I could say something to her tonight. Instead she said "Mommy, are you going to say something nice to me AGAIN????" As if!

I: My sons are like night and day. Have you ever heard of those little boys that run and jump and smash things at every chance they get? Shea never really climbed stairs until he was over two years old but this little man has been found on top of the pool table (which he promptly fell off of and smashed his head on the heating vent) and on top of his sister's dresser next to the bunkbed this week. If you are building something he destroys it. His Daddy has permanent physical injury from all of Devan's jumping on him! And someone must have hit the "talk" switch on this boy this week because somehow he's speaking so clear even Nate can understand him! Today it was "I wanna show you my tassle (castle)" which I thought was pretty good! And every morning he's woken up dry. I'm sorry, didn't he just turn 2???

I will find my camera, I promise. My dorky ramblings do not do these children justice!

1 comment:

debr said...

oh how i miss them! wish we could see them in person!