Tuesday, January 20, 2009

On a Wing and a Prayer

I love the imagery of Isaiah 40:31,

but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.


Some people have asked me what I have learned over the last few years and I usually tell them that I have learned to pray. I used to think that prayer was as simple as telling God what I wanted and Him giving it to me. But as time went on I learned that prayer isn't really for God's benefit. Doesn't the one who created me know what I need before I ask for it? Doesn't He know what I need even when I don't know what I need? So really prayer is for me, a way for me to let go of my control and to accept what He has already planned out.

I've learned to ASK, not TELL.
To LISTEN, not SPEAK.
To WAIT, not PANIC.
To HOPE, not FEAR.
To THANK, not FORGET.

Prayer changes me, not God. Whether I speak a prayer one time or a million times, He hears me. It isn't like Bruce Almighty where the prayers are so loud they drown each other out. I can whisper it, cry it, beg it, plead it, speak it, sing it or shout it. And I have.

Lately I have FELT it. I can FEEL the hope overtaking the fear. I can FEEL the prayers of others lifting me up when I can't run let alone walk. I can FEEL myself soaring so close to God that I know when His hand is at work.

I often wonder what else He has to teach me by trials, but honestly I don't care anymore how long they last because LIFE is a trial. I'm not special because I've suffered more than someone else. Everyone is suffering in their own ways.

And everyone needs prayer.

No comments: