Sunday, April 19, 2009

Aging Up

As May approaches I am realizing how fast time is flying by in life. My tiny first-born baby is almost 8 years old. How did that happen? I'm pretty sure I think that every year, but somehow this year is pivotal because my youngest will soon be leaving the toddler years. And somewhere along this journey my baby girl will be a Kindergartner.

Shea is now learning division. When I say "learning" I mean "absorbing". This boy just GETS things without much explanation. I swear he gets that from his dad and not me. He's happiest when he's outside or reading field guides. His latest thing is to make his own Memory games. Remember Memory, that matching game? So far he's created Rocks and Minerals, Gemstones, Macroinvertabrates, and Fruit-bearing Flowers.

Tenley spends most of her time chasing after me. She can fold clothes like nobody's business and thrives on her charts and routines. She loves school and her friends and especially arts and crafts. Her newest accomplishment is reading on her own! She is doing a great job! And soon I'll be able to announce that she's riding a two-wheeler because she's been practicing like crazy. She can also hang upside down on the swingset bar!

Devan is past the toddler babble stage and can clearly say what he wants. He is still in love with all things cowboy - horses, barns, farms, hats, etc. But he's also taken on a new love for trains. He trades his cowboy hat for his train engineer hat every other day or so. He knows his shapes and colors and we've moved onto counting this week. Physically he is a mack truck! He can climb and jump with the best of them. And he's found a new love in swimming.

They're getting so big. I am enjoying moving away from the "No, we don't touch that" stage and into the "Think about how that makes them feel" stage. Lots of good discussions happening!

Pictures coming!!

No comments: